I love wearing denim, but I have to confess that it isn’t the most easy piece to shop for given my height. Inseam, waist, and leg style all play a big role in how a pair of jean fits. I do believe in investing a high-quality pair because it can last an entire lifetime. Plus, denim is one of the most versatile pieces anyone can own. That being said, there are a few guidelines I abide by when it comes to picking the perfect jeans for your body type whether you’re petite, tall, or curvy.
Shop The Post
Being petite has its perks, but buying jeans isn’t one of them. My biggest struggle is always the inseam being too long. The good news is, you can always hem your jeans to fit and you can pretty much pull off any leg style. Here are some of my shopping tips:
- Create the illusion of longer legs by picking a high-waisted pair.
- Long flares or trouser-style silhouettes immediately add length when paired with heels; hence why I always wear wide legs!
- Make sure crops cut off higher above the ankle so you don’t look like you’re wearing high-waters.
If you’re tall, then lucky for you because inseam will never be a problem. The goal in this situation is to pick a flattering pair that shows off your figure and creates proportion.
- Leave it to an ultra skinny fit to show off your curves.
- High-waisted styles will make your legs look ultra long, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
- Cropped flares or boyfriend fits are ultra flattering for a relaxed, lived-in look.
Curvy body types tend to have a wider hips and fuller bums and thighs. The trickiest part of shopping for jeans is ensuring they aren’t too tight and that the waist isn’t too low. Here are my best tips for curvy body types:
- Mid-rise boot cuts are the most flattering style that creates balance and proportion.
- Go with super stretchy denim material that will hug your body and stay in place.
- If you do want to wear a skinny fit, pick a high-waisted pair for the lengthening effect and a contoured waistband.
A fit body tends to have more of a boyish figure (which is super sexy too – no shame!). So the goal is to create the illusion of curves. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Like curvy body types, you want to pick super stretchy jeans (like those from J Brand, Paige, 7 For All Mankind, and others) so that they hug your hips, thighs, and calves.
- For a trendier option, a straight leg pair of jeans work perfectly in your favor because there’s enough room for muscular calves and thighs.
- Tapered boyfriend jeans are also a great style to wear because they feature a looser fit in the butt and hips down to the thighs then taper off at the ankle.
Do you have any shopping tips you swear by when buying the perfect jeans for your body type?